Need a reason to go on? See State Board of Education 2013 Fact Sheet

What is Dual Credit?

Dual credit is a program that allows high school students to enroll in college courses for credit prior to high school graduation. College credits earned through dual credit can be applied toward high school and college graduation and can be transferred to other colleges or universities.

To be eligible to take dual credit courses delivered on a high school campus, students must be academically prepared for the demands of college-level coursework, meet any university listed course prerequisite(s), and have junior status. Students who have not completed the prerequisites to a course for which they are otherwise eligible may register for the course with the instructor’s approval (General Catalog B-5).  Students who do not have junior status may submit a petition to the high school principal’s office.  Petitions will be reviewed by the counselor, high school instructor of record, and university faculty liaison.  Final approval to register will be indicated by the high school instructor’s signature on the High School Dual Credit Registration form.

High school students who would like to take courses delivered on the University of Idaho campus must be 16 years or older at the start of the semester or course, or have completed at least half of their high school graduation requirements, and  are prepared for the demands of college-level coursework.

Complete information about How to Enroll is outlined under the Students link on this site.

Please Note: High school counselor signatures are required on the registration form. Per Idaho Title 33-5104, parent/guardian signatures are also required.


Dual credit eases the transition to college by giving students firsthand exposure to college-level work while earning high school and college credit simultaneously. Dual credit also provides a wider range of course options for high school students. Classes may be taught at the high school campus, the university campus, or online depending on the arrangements made with the high school. Through this program, dual credit students can accumulate college credits prior to entering college that will help them graduate early or on time.

How Much Does it Cost?

State guidelines dictate class fees depending on how and where the class is offered. Fees and other charges are subject to change and are effective only when adopted by the University of Idaho Board of Regents. Classes are billed at $65 per credit hour.

Please Note: Some classes carry special lab or course fees in addition to the per credit-hour fees listed.

Is Financial Aid Available?

Fast Forward Program

During the 2014 Legislative Session, the Idaho Legislature passed Senate Bill 1233, which approved funds to cover up to 75% of the cost of taking dual credit courses, college-bearing exams, or professional-technical exams. The program, Fast Forward, provides every high school junior access to a maximum of $200 a year and each high school senior access to a maximum of $400 a year.

Additional information, along with helpful charts are available under the Financial Aid link on this site.

College Access Challenge Grant (CACG) Scholarship

The College Access Challenge Grant (CACG) is a grant designed to foster partnerships among Federal, State and local government entities and philanthropic organizations to significantly increase the number of underrepresented students who enter and remain in postsecondary education. CACG provides grants to states to meet the needs of underrepresented students and families. Idaho’s CACG will give direct support to students by providing tuition assistance and/or textbooks for dual credit courses. Underrepresented students will be identified through a brief application process initiated by school staff and sent to the Dual Credit Coordinator.  Application forms are located under the Financial Aid link on this site.

Please Note:  Requests for scholarship funds are not a guarantee of funding

Fee Payment

Students who qualify for Fast Forward funding must follow the instructions outlined under the Fee Payment section of the Fees & Payment link.

We do not offer payment plans to Dual Credit students.  All registration forms must have payment attached or they will not be processed.  Any account balances need to be cleared prior to processing any spring 2015 registrations.

Students who choose to pay their portion of fees by credit card may use the Credit Card Payment Form on the Dual Credit home page.  Simply print it out, fill it out, and attach it to the registration form.

Fee Payment questions should be directed to Katherine Clancy in Student Accounts/Cashiers at (208) 885-2132.

Summer Opportunities

Summer is an excellent time to earn dual credit. The University of Idaho encourages high school juniors and seniors to consider taking a course or building an individual program.

If students prefer a more individualized approach, the university offers a variety of courses on campus that fulfill many high school requirements and apply to many college majors. Choices from various sessions throughout the summer and different times of day still leave plenty of time for a summer job or family vacation. Take a look at the Summer Session Calendar for session dates.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, also known as the Buckley Amendment, governs the confidentiality of student records. FERPA applies to all admitted students at the University of Idaho. Therefore, parents do not have access to their dual credit student’s educational records without the student’s written consent. Written consent may be obtained by filling out a Consent to Release Student Information form and returning it to the Office of the Registrar.